Barbara Schmal, MS, RN, CHPN
Clinical Education Team Leader, Hospice of the Valley in Phoenix
- Masters’ degree in EOL Care/Health Sciences
- 25 years in hospice
- Certified in hospice and palliative nursing since 1996
- Functioned in multiple roles within hospice field: case management, director of clinical services, educational liaison, clinical resource nurse, and education team leader.
- Previous adjunct faculty at Grand Canyon University.
- Faculty for certification review courses at local, state, and national levels since 2002.
- Served on RN Exam Development Committee for the National Certification Board for HP Nursing (now HPCC)
- Former Director and Board President of Hospice and Palliative Credentialing Center, overseeing the development and administration of the national certification exams (2007-2012)
Cindy Stafford, NP
- Has provided hospice and palliative care since 1995.
- An advanced certified hospice palliative nurse, board certified in pain management.
- An approved educator with Hospice and Palliative Nurses’ Association (HPNA) since 2009.
- Founded a palliative care consult service in a healthcare system in Maryland.
- Currently serves as part of a palliative care in-patient consult team at Carolinas Healthcare System Northeast facility in Concord North Carolina. At this facility, she has provided education offerings on palliative care to medical residents, chaplain residents and nursing.
- Former Editor for The Core Curriculum for the Long Term Care Nurse, published by HPNA.